Recent research by Google indicates that dome-hype in Australia has increased by around 25% since the beginning of the dome home website.
This is a key hypothesis in the current draft business case for a modular truncated icosahedral tent business.
With the year coming to an end – an update on the DOME home status for 2018, in picture form:
Figure 1: The timber was confirmed to be straight
Figure 2: 16mm pocket holes were drilled using 16mm countersink bit & radial arm drill press. 2- screws per connection will be used. Buildex 14-10 x 100mm timber screws were pre-drilled.
Figure 3: Sika Pro was applied to the joints prior to screw fixing
Figure 4: 3- two hexagon sides are connected first
Figure 5: The 3- two side sets are connected to form a hexagon module. The hexagon corner jig is seen in this picture
Figure 6: Gettin jiggy
Figure 7: 4 hexagon modules are complete. The design distance across the diagonals is 1850mm. The as-built hexagon modules range from 1847mm to 1855mm across the diagonals – this error seems tolerable.
Figure 8: Nutritious eggs
The protracted lull in website activity is noted.
To resolve this, the group name will be changed to Roaming Discretized Ornamental Modular Eco-friendly (DOME) Home.
- i) Drop-saw
- ii) Measuring Tape
iii) Straight edge (more than 1m if someone has something suitable)
- iv) Pencils
- v) Drill press
- vi) Drill bits (depends on what size bolts we are using)
viii) Safety Goggles!
Stuff to complete:
- i) Cut Pieces
– Length: 1m (~2.7m height) (maybe a little shorter depending on lengths of timber from bunnings)
– Angles: http://polyhedramath.com/finding-the-angles-of-the-truncated-icosahedron/
– Amount: 60 hexagon sides, 30 pentagon sides
- ii) Drill Bolts’ Holes
– Need to ensure that:
- a) all hexagon holes are identical
- b) all pentagon holes are identical
- c) all hexagon holes align back to back
- d) all hexagon holes align with pentagon holes back to back
– Possible Method (3 holes):
- a) start with one hexagon piece
- b) use 3 holes
- c) drill centre hole by intersecting the diagonals so it is half of the width and height
- d) measure other two holes 200mm on either side of centre hole. *Important: must guaruntee to be half of the height as well*
- e) use this piece as a template for every other hexagon piece and for the pentagon holes
What do you talk about in blog posts.
It is much heavier and less useful than I anticipated.
Them bitches askin why I spend my weekend building domes
I tell them I was born with geodesic chromosomes